History

History

Founded in 1924

It was in April 1924, that a number of Whitchurch residents, who were interested in bowls, formed an association with the local Y.M.C.A. who were located at the rear of Penlline Road and had laid a Bowling Green for the benefit of their Members. As there were not sufficient members in the Y.M.C.A. to make the section a financial success they welcomed the introduction of local players. Hence, Whitchurch Bowling Club was formed, with the Y.M.C.A. undertaking the responsibility for the maintenance of the green and the Bowling Club paying them an annual sum, based on their membership.

The first records indicate that the total membership was 19 and applications were made to become an affiliated member of the Welsh Bowling Association, Glamorgan County Bowling Association and the Private Greens League. In due course all applications were accepted to commence in 1925 and in that year it was agreed to extend the green, with the approval of the W.B.A. The Y.M.C.A. paid two/thirds of the cost and the Bowling Club paid the difference. At a later date the Bowling Club took over the responsibility for the maintenance and upkeep of the green and paid the Y.M.C.A. a revised annual rental for the use of the green only.

By 1933 our membership had increased to 42 and the social life of the Club was developed. It was in October 1933 that the first dinner was held at a cost of 3 shillings (3s) per head.

In July 1946 the Y.M.C.A. notified the Club that they could no longer bear the expense of the green and the clubhouse. The Bowling Club took over on a lease basis as from the end of that year, the cost of the lease to be £20 annually.

In early 1948 the club house was destroyed by fire. An appeal was made to members for financial support for the erection of a new building at an estimated cost of £250.

 

Old Clubhouse

Old Clubhouse

1978 was a memorable year when electricity was connected to the club for the first time, until this date the club had been lit by gas lights! The freehold of the club was also bought for the princely sum of £4000 and Lady Bowlers were admitted as members for the first time.

The ladies section went from strength to strength and leads the way in achieving international honours. Nina Shipperlee became the first Club member to represent her country when she was selected for Wales in 1988. Nina was selected for Wales, every season, with one exception, until 2006. The height of her achievements was winning a Commonwealth Games Bronze medal in 2002.

Nina was followed into the Welsh team by Freda Humphreys in 1991 and Anne Smith 1999 – 2003.

Junior international caps were awarded to Rosemarie Price 1988 – 1995; Anne Humphreys 1988; Katie Lewis 2004 – 2013; Daniel Salmon 2008 – 2010 and Jon Williams 2013.

By 1984 the Club had outgrown the old clubhouse and the current clubhouse was designed and built.

New Clubhouse

New Clubhouse

Further modifications have taken place over the last 30 years with the club now able to boast some of the best facilities in South Wales and prides itself in its welcome for all opponents, be they local or visiting touring sides.

If you would like to become a member please refer to our membership page for details.